I love making my own sauces but, sometimes they involve so much time and ingredients it makes it more difficult to make. But, I found that this sauce is ready in about 30 minutes. You can certainly cook it longer (I always cook my sauces for at least an hour, sometimes more) but you don’t have to! You can mix up using canned and fresh ingredients, it tastes the same either way. Add this sauce to a simple spaghetti or even a lasagna!
- 8-10 large tomatoes, diced, or (1) 28 oz can of diced tomatoes.
- 1/2 small red onion chopped.
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic.
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano.
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley.
- 1 tablespoon dried basil.
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like more heat you can add more).
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- In a saucepan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until lightly browned. (be careful not to burn)
- Add diced tomatoes and cook until tomatoes become softened.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and all seasonings. Stir.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (you can also cook sauce longer)
Freeze any extra and save for later! If you would like to make this a meat sauce, once sauce is finished add cooked meat and let simmer together for an additional 20 minutes.
If you enjoy our posts please click the follow button on the button in the lower right-hand corner of this page! It would mean so much to us ❤