Happy Sunday! It’s about a 115 degrees out today. So we have been staying in the a/c all day. What’s a better excuse to cook than being stuck inside all day? So today’s recipe is inspired by one of our favorite appetizers, fried pickles. Instead of making regular fried pickles I wanted to try to make a healthier version. So instead of frying the pickles I baked them. Using plain panko bread crumbs helps lower the amount of sodium since this is a low sodium food. I also always use pickles that don’t have added salt or sugar. It’s better to add flavor with other seasonings than to have all those extra addictives in the food already. They are really simple and delicious! Let’s give them a try!
- 20-30 Sliced Pickles
- 1/2 cup Plain Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a cooking sheet with olive oil.
- Add all seasonings and panko together and mix well.
- Place pickles on a paper towel and pat dry.
- Place pickles in beaten eggs and then into panko. Cover completely and evenly, then place on the cooking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and serve with ranch or desired dipping sauce.
Click the ‘Follow’ button in the lower right hand corner of the page to get updates in my recipes.